It’s an exciting time for innovation as implications of artificial intelligence have reverberated across industries. The print industry is no different, with AI anticipated to unlock new capabilities and workflows–if it hasn’t already.
AI has been used for print in various forms for years, from workflow automations to supply chain management, and more. It has been hugely beneficial for improving efficiency and reducing costs related to maintenance and downtime. But the potential impact of machine learning, the subfield of AI that is much more adaptive, is much larger.
Here are five key ways AI can impact your daily printing experience, plus insights from Mopria Alliance members on the potential impact of AI on the industry.
1. Cost Savings: AI can help reduce printing costs by optimizing ink or toner usage, suggesting cost-effective paper choices, and minimizing waste. AI-powered print management systems can monitor and control print resources, helping organizations save on consumables and energy costs. AI algorithms can also monitor the condition of printing machinery in real-time, detecting potential issues before they cause downtime. This predictive maintenance not only ensures smooth operations but also reduces the cost of emergency repairs and extends the lifespan of printing equipment.
2. Improved Print Quality: AI algorithms can significantly enhance print quality. By analyzing and optimizing images before printing, AI algorithms can adjust color balance, sharpen images, and correct imperfections in real-time, resulting in higher-quality prints.
3. Workflow Automation: AI-powered automation can streamline print workflows. AI can assist with job scheduling, routing, and even make real-time decisions on print settings based on the type of document being printed. This increases efficiency and reduces the need for manual intervention.
4. Security Enhancement: According to Quocirca, 79% of organizations expect to increase their print security spend in the next 12 months and only 19% of IT decision makers are completely confident in the security of their print infrastructure, indicating a growing awareness of the need for enhanced security measures. AI can play a crucial role in preventing security breaches in printing environments. By identifying anomalies in print jobs that may indicate a security breach, AI can enforce user authentication measures to prevent unauthorized access. It can also aid in compliance with data protection regulations by monitoring and controlling the printing of sensitive or confidential documents.
5. Sustainability: In an era of increasing environmental consciousness, AI can play a crucial role in reducing the ecological footprint of the printing industry. AI-powered systems can optimize printing processes, reduce waste, and decrease energy consumption. Additionally, AI can help organizations transition to eco-friendly materials and practices by suggesting sustainable alternatives.
As the printing industry looks to the future, we recognize that AI will become an integral part of daily operations. By harnessing the power of artificial intelligence, companies can not only increase efficiency but also deliver a superior experience to their clients and reduce their impact on the environment.
The AI revolution is well underway, and its potential is vast–we realize that the above list is just a fraction of the innovation the print industry will unlock in the coming years and decades. Embracing AI is not just a technological choice but a strategic one for the future of the printing industry.