Learning how to make face masks may have not been at the top of your to-do list until this year, but as masks become mandated for entry at a greater number of restaurants, shops, and common areas, it might be a tutorial you want to tackle.
There are plenty of benefits to creating your own durable, fabric mask. A few include:
- Style: Masks are the new must-have accessory. You can make masks fashionable while showing off your own personal style with various colors, prints, and fits.
- Budget-friendly: Reusable face masks are more cost-efficient than disposable masks.
- Comfort: You can make a mask you don’t mind wearing by custom fitting it to your face.
- It’s Fun! If you’re just looking for an enjoyable at-home activity, you can take up sewing and make items for yourself, your family, or your friends.
- It’s Easy! You can easily sew your own face mask with a few materials and by following a couple of steps.
Whatever the reason, our guide is here to help! This step-by-step guide is based on the methods outlined by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
Image credit: CDC
- Needle and thread (or bobby pin)
- Sewing machine
- Mopria mask pattern
- Mopria certified printer or multi-function printer
- Android smartphone or tablet
- Cotton fabric (Choose tightly woven cotton, such as quilting fabric, cotton sheets, or T-shirt fabric)
- Two 6-inch pieces of elastic (or rubber band)
- Use your Android device to open this PDF with your mask pattern. Next, find the print option, select a nearby printer, then tap Print.
- For more detailed instructions on how to print from Android, please see our How to Guide.
- Using your pattern, cut two identical 10 x 6-inch rectangles of cotton.
- Stack the two rectangles.
- Fold the fabric ¼ inch over the long sides and hem.
- Fold the double layer of fabric over ½ inch along the short sides and stitch down.
- Thread the elastic pieces through the wider hem on each side of the mask. If needed, use a large needle or a bobby pin to thread it through. Tie the ends tight.
- Adjust the elastic so that the knots are tucked inside the hem.
- Gather the sides of the mask on the elastic.
- Adjust so the mask fits your face. Then securely stitch the elastic in place to keep it from slipping.
Pro Tip: Print step-by-step instructions or a photo for reference
If you’re a beginner or just want a little extra help as you complete your sewing project, you can print the project’s instructions or a photo of what you’re attempting to make.
Having the instructions and a photo by your side can ensure that you’re completing your project without any hiccups.
Not only can Mopria help make your sewing projects a breeze, but there are also a number of other benefits to mobile printing. To explore other benefits or learn how to print from your Android device, visit Mopria.org.